you're reading...
Business Visas, Family Visas, Q&A, Study Visas, Work Visas

Q&A Post on Avvo.com – the H-4 Visa through a spouse

PUBLIC’S QUESTION: I am a Colombian citizen, my husband is a US Permanent Resident. Can I obtain a dependent H-4 visa?

Asked about 5 hours ago – Miami, FL
Practice area: Immigration – Edit

I got married about 18 months ago in Colombia. I am living in Colombia and never been in the US, my husband (who is a US permanent resident since 2005) is currently working 6 months per year in Alaska (in salmon fishing).
I want to move to US with him. Can I obtain a dependent visa? or can I apply to become a Permanent Resident as well?

Thanks in advance.


Answered less than a minute ago. Immigration Attorney in Miami, FL.
The H-4 Visa appears to be available to a spouse of individuals already holding an H-1, H-2, or H-3 Visa, provided that you are able to prove that you are not inadmissible to the U.S. Accordingly, it may be wise, as a preliminary matter, to look into inadmissibility (likely to need government assistance, have committed crimes or security violations, spent too much time in the U.S. unlawfully, time-barred, have entered illegally more than once, have violated other immigration laws or fraud). Moreover, you have not clarified what type of permission your husband has that allows you to qualify for the H-4. Rather, it seems that he may be a permanent resident card holder (H Visas are for temporary visitors).
Moreover, you may wish to think about what you can do for income if living in the U.S., and how you can show that you do not plan to stay permanently yourself, as the H-4 may not permit you to work in the U.S. You can always apply for a different visa, of course.
Finally, if you are looking to apply for permanent residence, you may qualify as a “preference relative” (spouse of permanent resident card holder), however you may have to wait in line. Depending on demand, that may be years.
You should contact an attorney to further explore your options.
For more answers to your questions, contact MIA at abernhard@miamivisahelp.com or Miami International Attorneys at www.miamivisahelp.com.

Miami International Attorneys, P.L.


About Miami International Attorneys, P.L.

Miami International Attorney


One thought on “Q&A Post on Avvo.com – the H-4 Visa through a spouse

  1. hello!,I like your writing so much! proportion we keep up a
    correspondence extra approximately your article
    on AOL? I require an expert in this house to unravel my problem.

    Maybe that’s you! Having a look ahead to look you.

    Posted by derma wand review | August 3, 2013, 3:05 pm

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

Visas – Info on Each Visa Available

Andrew John Bernhard, Esq.

Welcome to MiamiVisaHelp.com’s Blog!

Welcome to MiamiVisaHelp.com’s law blog … discussing everything visa from the perspective of those that have a need, desire, or tendency to move from country to country for the purpose of work, survival, education, living, play, and everything in between. Please feel free to send Andrew John Bernhard, Esq. a message! We are always trying to enhance your experience, and help all of us movers, migrators, immigrants, ex-pats and travelers have an easier, happier, and more satisfying experience in the often confusing world of U.S. Immigration. Please feel free to visit our friends at USImmigrationMiami.wordpress.com and TheMitochondrialMigrator.wordpress.com to see more from similar minded people like yourself! Most of all…ENJOY! - Andrew John Bernhard, Esq.

Miami Visa Help by Miami International Attorneys focused on immigration law in Miami and South Florida, discussing visas, citizenship, green cards, and immigration law news

%d bloggers like this: