you're reading...
Marriage Visas, Pleasure Visas

Coming to the U.S. for your Wedding – the K1 Wedding Visa

What wedding cannot be done in 90 days?…

I have been to several weddings, none which lasted longer than the weekend. Of course, my sister’s June wedding was booked in January. So, the 90 day time frame of the Wedding Visa – the K-1 – should be plenty to have all of the festivities, but may not be enough to do a round of site inspections and book your favorite locale. Such is the insensitive nature of the USCIS. But don’t worry, the K-1 is no K2, and once you get married, you can apply for a green card, after which you may have all the time in the world to tour the U.S.’s greatest spots (including Miami, of course).

There are no annual limits on K-1 Visas, and so it has been said that there are no long waiting periods. However, as the K-1 Visa petition approval takes up to seven months, the trusty USCIS has made sure that your romance is no weekend in Vegas fling. Maybe that’s not the worst thing…

Moreover, after the petition has been approved, it may take up to another 5 months! for the consulate to issue your K-1 Visa. In LA, that would be plenty of time to annul and sell the rights for a book deal.

There are a few other things to think of before going all in on the K-1 Visa Wedding.  If you’re not yet married and might prefer to have the wedding back in your home country, you should check out the K-3 Visa. If you do go with the K-1, make sure that you get your green card paperwork done on the honeymoon, as the Wedding visa cannot be renewed (same thing usually goes for the Wedding itself, so plan accordingly). The U.S. Citizen petitioners must also disclose their criminal records, which eliminates the couple pictured above as K-1 candidates.

On the good side, any unmarried kids under age 21 that the lucky couple have can come with for the ceremony (on the K-2 Visa), and the traveling future-spouse may either stay in the U.S. and apply for the green card or return home. That’s why the K-1 cannot help but reinvent the destination wedding.

If it still sounds like it might be for your wedding, start with the petition form, I-129F, available on the USCIS website, then take a peek at your nonimmigrant visa application forms DS-156, DS-156K, the DS-230 Registration Form, and the I-134 financial wherewithal form. Don’t forget to set up a medical exam and get your vaccinations updated.

Good luck!


For more answers to your questions, contact MIA at abernhard@miamivisahelp.com or Miami International Attorneys at www.miamivisahelp.com.

Miami International Attorneys, P.L.

About Miami International Attorneys, P.L.

Miami International Attorney



  1. Pingback: Green Card Status – Update « Pit's Musings and Ramblings from a Big Country - February 16, 2012

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Visas – Info on Each Visa Available

Andrew John Bernhard, Esq.

Welcome to MiamiVisaHelp.com’s Blog!

Welcome to MiamiVisaHelp.com’s law blog … discussing everything visa from the perspective of those that have a need, desire, or tendency to move from country to country for the purpose of work, survival, education, living, play, and everything in between. Please feel free to send Andrew John Bernhard, Esq. a message! We are always trying to enhance your experience, and help all of us movers, migrators, immigrants, ex-pats and travelers have an easier, happier, and more satisfying experience in the often confusing world of U.S. Immigration. Please feel free to visit our friends at USImmigrationMiami.wordpress.com and TheMitochondrialMigrator.wordpress.com to see more from similar minded people like yourself! Most of all…ENJOY! - Andrew John Bernhard, Esq.

Miami Visa Help by Miami International Attorneys focused on immigration law in Miami and South Florida, discussing visas, citizenship, green cards, and immigration law news

%d bloggers like this: