you're reading...
Business Visas, Family Visas, Work Visas

Considering Adjustment of Status from NATO Visa to Permanent Resident

Recently, MIA was contacted regarding adjusting status from a NATO nonimmigrant visa to permanent residency. Here are a few first steps that you can, and should, do on your own, before moving forward.

English: U.S. Defense Secretary Robert M. Gate...

English: U.S. Defense Secretary Robert M. Gates and other members of NATO Ministers of Defense and of Foreign Affairs meet at NATO headquarters in Brussels, Belgium, Oct. 14, 2010, to give political guidance for the November meeting of Allied Heads of State and Government at the NATO Summit in Lisbon, Portugal. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

Check Your Visa Expiration

Step 1 for any NATO visaholder is to confirm that your visa will not expire before your adjustment can be approved. Look at the duration on your Arrival-Departure Record, Form I-94. Check the date in the lower right-hand corner of your Form I-94, Arrival-Departure Record, to determine the date your authorized stay expires. If your visa reads “D/S” (meaning, duration of stay is the same as tour of duty), note the length of your (or the officer’s) tour in the U.S., and its expected termination date. Failure to depart the U.S. will cause you to be out-of-status. When individuals retire, leave military (or civilian) service, or leave the employ of a Headquarters or Agency, they are no longer considered to be in the same (visa) status. If you possess a NATO class visa, you are required to leave the U.S. or apply for a change/adjustment of visa status within 30 days of your or your sponsor’s last day of duty. Staying beyond the period of time authorized by the Customs and Border Patrol and being in the U.S. is a violation of U.S. immigration laws, and may cause you to be ineligible for a visa in the future for return travel to the U.S.

Extend Your Stay
If your visa is expiring shortly, you may wish to extend your stay in the United States filing a request with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) on the Form I-539 Application to Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status before your authorized stay expires. If you remain in the United States longer than authorized, you may be barred from returning and/or you may be removed (deported) from the United States. We recommend that you apply to extend your stay at least 45 days before your authorized stay expires.

English: U.S. President Harry Truman signs the...

English: U.S. President Harry Truman signs the bill ratifying the North Atlantic Treaty, part of creating the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) Česky: Americký prezident Harry Truman při podpisu návrhu zákona ratifikujícího Severoatlantickou smlouvu. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

Qualifications to Extend or Adjust

As you may know, you may apply to extend your stay if: (a) you were lawfully admitted into the United States with a nonimmigrant visa, (b) your nonimmigrant visa status remains valid, (c) you have not committed any crimes that make you ineligible for a visa, (d) you have not violated the conditions of your admission, (e) your passport is valid and will remain valid for the duration of your stay.

The common term for a change to permanent status is “adjustment of status” (“change of status” is from one nonimmigrant category to another). Because the above qualifications apply to an adjustment of status to permanent resident, please let me know if you do not meet any of these qualifications.

Check the Form I-566 Instructions

Going forward, look at the instructions from a Form I-566, which would be part of an adjustment of status application. Look at page 3, section 4, relating to adjustment of status. Also see page 5, section 3. You will also need to fill out a Form I-485, Form I-94, Form I-508, and evidentiary documents.

Look at the Other Adjustment Forms

The Form I-485 is the adjustment of status application. I attach the I-485 instructions. As you can see, there are limited grounds upon which a person may apply for permanent residency. Please look through the “Who May Apply” section on page 1 of the instructions. Do you meet any of these bases? The basic bases are through family, a job, or as a refugee/asylee.

Consider the Seriousness of Adjustment

The NATO Secretary General, the U.S. President...

The NATO Secretary General, the U.S. President, and the Prime Ministers of Latvia, Slovenia, Lithuania, Slovakia, Romania, Bulgaria, and Estonia after a ceremony welcoming them into NATO on 29 March 2004 at the Istanbul Summit (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

The I-508 is a waiver of rights. The form primarily advises you that you must waive certain diplomatic rights, privileges and immunities and pay U.S. income taxes on the salaries paid to you by your foreign governments. If you have looked over this information, are serous about adjusting your status, and believe that you have sufficient grounds to do so, then you may apply for an adjustment of status.

We always recommend thinking about an adjustment seriously, and discussing it with family and friends. If you are still serious about adjusting, find an immigration attorney to help you complete your applications correctly.

Best of luck!

Miami International Attorneys, P.L.
P.O. Box 191057
Miami Beach, FL 33119
Tel: 786-566-1969.

For more answers to your questions, contact MIA at abernhard@miamivisahelp.com or Miami International Attorneys at www.miamivisahelp.com.

Miami International Attorneys


About Miami International Attorneys, P.L.

Miami International Attorney


No comments yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

Visas – Info on Each Visa Available

Andrew John Bernhard, Esq.

Welcome to MiamiVisaHelp.com’s Blog!

Welcome to MiamiVisaHelp.com’s law blog … discussing everything visa from the perspective of those that have a need, desire, or tendency to move from country to country for the purpose of work, survival, education, living, play, and everything in between. Please feel free to send Andrew John Bernhard, Esq. a message! We are always trying to enhance your experience, and help all of us movers, migrators, immigrants, ex-pats and travelers have an easier, happier, and more satisfying experience in the often confusing world of U.S. Immigration. Please feel free to visit our friends at USImmigrationMiami.wordpress.com and TheMitochondrialMigrator.wordpress.com to see more from similar minded people like yourself! Most of all…ENJOY! - Andrew John Bernhard, Esq.

Miami Visa Help by Miami International Attorneys focused on immigration law in Miami and South Florida, discussing visas, citizenship, green cards, and immigration law news

%d bloggers like this: