One of the most common questions in immigration to the U.S. is: “what is a form ds-160?”
Today we look at the ds 160 visa form, or formulario ds 160, to help prepare you to understand the ds 160 forms and to prepare your responses to the ds 160 application. What is form ds-160? It is the U.S. government’s form to apply for a US visa.
The ds160 form bears several components, including:
1. GET STARTED SECTION
2. PERSONAL INFORMATION PART 1
3. PERSONAL INFORMATION PART 2
4. ADDRESS AND PHONE
7. TRAVEL COMPANIONS
8. PREVIOUS U.S. TRAVEL
9. U.S. CONTACT
11. WORK / EDUCATION / TRAINING
The longest and most complicated section of the ds 160 form fill online is the Security and Background section. These questions reflect the US visa requirements to obtain a b2 visa, among other US visas. The American visa application is not overly complex, but it is necessary to be prepared and to honest each question honestly. Accordingly, we provide a list of the current security and background questions as of May 2013, so that you can accumulate any information that you need to answer honestly and completely.
The US tourist visa application instructions for this section are simple enough:
“Provide the following security and background information. Provide complete and accurate information to all questions that require an explanation. A visa may not be issued to persons who are within specific categories defined by law as inadmissible to the United States (except when a waiver is obtained in advance). Are any of the following applicable to you? While a YES answer does not automatically signify ineligibility for a visa, if you answer YES you may be required to personally appear before a consular officer.”
What then follows are yes or no questions that you must answer, including:
- Do you have a communicable disease of public health significance? (Communicable diseases of public significance include chancroid, gonorrhea, granuloma inguinale, infectious leprosy, lymphogranuloma venereum, infectious stage syphilis, active tuberculosis, and other diseases as determined by the Department of Health and Human Services).
- Do you have a mental or physical disorder that poses or is likely to pose a threat to the safety or welfare of yourself or others?
- Are you or have you ever been a drug abuser or addict?
- Have you ever been arrested or convicted for any offense or crime, even though subject of a pardon, amnesty, or other similar action?
- Have you ever violated, or engaged in a conspiracy to violate, any law relating to controlled substances?
- Are you coming to the United States to engage in prostitution or unlawful commercialized vice or have you been engaged in prostitution or procuring prostitutes within the past 10 years?
- Have you ever been involved in, or do you seek to engage in, money laundering?
- Have you ever committed or conspired to commit a human trafficking offense in the United States or outside the United States?
- Have you ever knowingly aided, abetted, assisted or colluded with an individual who has committed, or conspired to commit a severe human trafficking offense in the United States or outside the United States?
- Are you the spouse, son, or daughter of an individual who has committed or conspired to commit a human trafficking offense in the United States or outside the United States and have you within the last five years, knowingly benefited from the trafficking activities?
- Do you seek to engage in espionage, sabotage, export control violations, or any other illegal activity while in the United States?
- Do you seek to engage in terrorist activities while in the United States or have you ever engaged in terrorist activities?
- Have you ever or do you intend to provide financial assistance or other support to terrorists or terrorist organizations?
- Are you a member or representative of a terrorist organization?
- Have you ever ordered, incited, committed, assisted, or otherwise participated in genocide?
- Have you ever committed, ordered, incited, assisted, or otherwise participated in torture?
- Have you committed, ordered, incited, assisted, or otherwise participated in extrajudicial killings, political killings, or other acts of violence?
- Have you ever engaged in the recruitment or the use of child soldiers?
- Have you, while serving as a government official, been responsible for or directly carried out, at any time, particularly severe violations of religious freedom?
- Have you ever been directly involved in the establishment or enforcement of population controls forcing a woman to undergo an abortion against her free choice or a man or a woman to undergo sterilization against his or her free will?
- Have you ever been directly involved in the coercive transplantation of human organs or bodily tissue?
- Have you ever sought to obtain or assist others to obtain a visa, entry into the United States, or any other United States immigration benefit by fraud or willful misrepresentation or other unlawful means?
- Have you ever withheld custody of a U.S. citizen child outside the United States from a person granted legal custody by a U.S. court?
- Have you voted in the United States in violation of any law or regulation?
- Have you ever renounced United States citizenship for the purposes of avoiding taxation?
Prepare your yes or no response to each of these questions, and understand that your response will affect your ability to acquire an American visitor visa.
If you have any questions, contact your local immigration attorney.
Best of luck!
Miami International Attorneys